Our lake has not always been known as Hauser
Lake. Old maps show that our lake has had three other names: Mud, Mudd and
Sucker Lake. So who was Hauser?
Sometime after the gold and silver strikes in north Idaho, Daniel Corbin at
the request of his good friend and governor of Montana, Samuel T. Hauser,
came to north Idaho to look into the possibility of building a railroad into
the Coeur d'Alene mining district.
Corbin built a branch line on the Northern Pacific Railroad, which is now
Hauser Junction. The line went through what is now Post Falls and on
to the steamboat docks in Coeur d'Alene.
Completed in 1886, it was approximately 13½
miles long and was called Spokane Falls and Idaho Railroad. It is
believed that Hauser Junction was named at the time the branch was completed
by Daniel Chase Corbin in honor of his good friend and business partner who
was appointed governor of Montana Territory in 1885 by President Cleveland.
Samuel Thomas Hauser, born January 10, 1833,
died in 1914. It would then follow that the lake and the Village would be
named Hauser. Hauser Lake Village was incorporated May 12, 1947.
Sometime later the State said, "Those who call themselves villages shall now
call themselves cities".
The village was the fifth new village in
Kootenai County after Idaho enacted new laws governing slot machine
operations and regulating liquor-by-the-drink. Trustees who were appointed
were Charles Eisenhauer, Melvin Amundson, John Nelson, Walter Ness and
Ronald Blanchard. Blanchard was chosen chairman, Howard G. Miner,
clerk of the board, and Lucile Nelson, Treasurer.
Information gathered by Olita Johnston, Historian.